Vincent lived by himself and, like everyone who lives alone for long enough, he had become
a solitary creature. Man, however, is not a lonely creature by nature.
Loneliness is an acquired habit that one most learn to endure and live through.Because of this, as time went by he had developed ways and routines to make his loneliness a little bit more bearable.
His diet consisted mainly of pasta. This was in some ways a legacy of the time he had spent
living in Italy .
Many years had passed since then but the habit of cooking and eating pasta on
a daily basis had remained a part of his life. Habit was not the only
justification for his Italian diet however. Pasta presented some advantages over
other kinds of food: it was easy to make, fast to cook, didn't require a lot of
planning, it was cheap and it actually tasted really good.
That day's dish was penne
al pesto, a classic
among lazy people in Italy
and the world. The recipe is simple: You boil the water and you throw in some penne.
While the pasta cooks you wait, smoking a cigarette, reading a book or chatting
with the person next to you. Unless you live alone of course. In that case
there's no one to talk to while you wait. Most times Vincent preferred to just
look at the pasta cooking in the boiling water, slowly, almost imperceptibly.
He just starred at it for about ten minutes while it cooked. He actually liked
it, it almost felt like he was meditating. After its done, you just drain the pasta and
add the ready-made pesto sauce from a jar and mix it with the noodles until
they're all green and slippery and smell really good and then you can add some
olive oil and some pepper to make it taste and smell even better. You add some parmeggiano
cheese at the end and that's it, you have a quick, tasty, Italian meal on
your plate.
Vincent usually watched TV or read
a novel while having lunch. Those were his favorite substitutes for human companionship. That day, however, he simply laid his plate on the table, along
with a glass of red wine, added some more parmeggiano
cheese to the mixture and started eating.
He was feeling particularly
pensive and melancholic. As he ate his Italian food and heard the distant
noises of cars and people coming from the street he couldn't help reminiscing
about his life. "How did I end up
like this?" he asked himself. Thirty years of age and zero hopes. There
was a time when I had a mind filled with dreams and I believed, I truly did
believe, that they would come true some day...
What happened to me? When did it
all change? Was there really a time when things changed? A day, a month, a
year? If there was I can't remember it. I can't even remember when my dreams
turned into faded memories from the past...
I should have gotten a job. A
monthly paycheck. A routine. A girl. Gotten married. I should have been like
everyone else. Like my family wanted me to be...
Why did I even think I could
become a writer? A successful writer of all things! How could I be so stupid? I
can't even write three pages in a row anymore. Me, Vincent, a writer...
Such a ridiculous thought. Such a gross mistake. Blasphemy!
In the old times it was
different, sure... It hasn't even been that long, if I think about it. What,
five, six years? It seems like forever though. It seems like that was another
world. It seems I was a different person then, a much better person. That guy
could have been a writer, not me. Not this bum I've become. Saying I'm a writer
is an insult to those who really were writers. Hemingway, Kerouac, Orwell...
They were writers alright. I'm just a joke. Except this isn't even funny. I'm
just one more guy who wasted his life for nothing.
The glass of red wine was now
empty so he filled it up again and drank it all up in one long sip. His plate was
still almost full but he wasn't hungry anymore. He filled the glass once more
and drank the wine even faster this time because he didn't want to think so much
anymore...
No comments:
Post a Comment